While many of us honor a family member or family friend by laying flowers on their grave, others among us volunteer to show your respect by laying the national flag upon the graves of soldiers in national cemeteries. We at CompAndSave honor our fallen heroes via this special Memorial Day Post.
Some Suggestions for this Memorial DayMemorial Day falls on May 25th this year. Here are some suggestions to join in the celebrations this year:
Memorial Day in Washington DC – You could plan a visit at this time to join in various events such as:
- The National Memorial Day Concert on Sunday, May 24th which will feature Joe Mantegna and Gary Sinise, and other guest artists along with the National Symphony Orchestra
- Visit the monuments and memorials such as the DC War Memorial, Eisenhower Memorial, Jefferson Memorial, Korean War Veterans Memorial, Women in Vietnam Memorial, the Smithsonian Museums and many others. (Check out this Monuments & Memorials in Washington DC (Visitors Guide) for more suggestions).
- Watch the National Memorial Day Parade which begins at 2 PM on Memorial Day on Constitution Avenue. Featuring marching bands, active duty and retired military units, youth groups, floats and hundreds of veterans join over 250,000 who turn up to watch.
- Visit the Arlington National Cemetery (where the original Decoration Day was held on 30 May 1868) where a quarter million mini flags will decorate the headstones, where a wreath is laid on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and where you can watch the Changing of Guard ceremony
- Join the Rolling Thunder Motorcycle Rally where 500,000 motorcycles and their riders honor MIAs and POWs.
Major Events in Maryland and Virginia include
- The Memorial Day Commemoration at the Town Hall in Sharpsburg, on Saturday, 24th May at 11 AM
- The Viva Vienna festival (May 23 through 25) including tributes, crafts, rides, music, food and more
- The Memorial Day Parade at The City of Falls Church, Virginia which also feature live entertainment and other events.