How to start your DIY Gallery WallIdentify a space such as the entryway to your home, a space in your living room or a large enough wall space in your dining room. The side of the stairs or an outdoor space where you entertain could work well for your DIY wall décor project too. Below is a video for inspiration as well.
To begin, checkout your attic or storage space: there may be interesting old family pictures, a painting, a sketch by a family member, or even letters of significance that may be worth framing.
How about the hotel bill from your distant but memorable honeymoon or perhaps your old wedding invite? Your child or grandchild’s first clothing, a pair of shoes or christening dress; even the license plate of your first ever car could also make some unusual but meaningful wall art. The first ever greeting your child made you, or the ‘painting’ of grandma that your granddaughter made – these are highly frame-worthy as well!
Check out flea markets or resale shops for hidden treasures that you may be able to pick up for an authentic touch. Look for art prints, pop art frames, landscapes, still life or whatever appeals to your eclectic sensibilities.
DIY Wall Decals and Canvas Art
|Image via: LollyJane|
- Print pictures of kids and grandkids. Think special occasions, family get-togethers, holidays, weddings or just some of their most adorable expressions; photos that mean something to you just because!
- Create collages using multiple photos, touch up photos, create monochrome or sepia prints or even get that pop art look. Online editing tools such as Picmonkey can be very useful for this.
- If there is a speech or poem you find particularly inspiring, print this out in an artsy font of your choice. Take the lyrics of a song that is special to you and print that out. But ensure that the font is clear and the size is large enough to be legible.
- Do the same with inspirational quotes, funny idioms or sayings or a memorable trademarks of a friend or family member.
- Scour the web for cartoons, funnies and comic strips that amuse or are significant for nostalgic reasons. Print out what you need (be sure to check that the website does not forbid this expressly for copyright reasons though)(im not sure that warning this matters, since its for personal use and not being published).
- Check out abstract art, classic art, landscapes and still life online as well. It doesn’t have to be a painting by a master; choosing something that pleases you (color schemes, scenes, or anything that appeals) is more important if you're trying to bring more of your personality to your wall décor
- You can also take printouts of stunning photos that you have taken yourself or which photographers have shared on the net: great buildings or historical monuments from unusual angles, a great sunset, a snarling, big cat, a canine in repose, a stark cityscape, pictures of indigenous folk all over the world; it could be anything that strikes your fancy really…
Special Fall Coupon CodeAnd just in case you're worrying about how much all the printing is going to cost you, don’t! We have something special for you all this month. Our coupon code for September entitles you to $5 off + free shipping + free memo pad gift on all orders of $55 and up. That fee memo pad is going to be most useful for jotting down all your ideas for the wall décor project. So don’t forget to use our coupon SEP55 for all the orders placed on or before the expiration Date of 09/30/2015.
So here’s wishing you happy shopping and happy DIY crafting!